Intermediate ACP Special
Omaha Public Schools
(531)- 299- 1080
Includer * Positivity * Achiever
* Belief * Developer
*Picture of my handsome
son Brooks Lee Hyland.
I am originally from Western Nebraska. I spent half my life in Ogallala, NE and half of it in Hastings. NE. I graduated from Hastings High School in 2008 and then I went to college in Tennessee at Lee University. I loved college in the South and contemplated staying in the south forever. I decided to move home to be closer to family and start my teaching career in Omaha. My first three teaching years I worked in Elkhorn as a special education inclusion teacher. This is my fourth year in Omaha Public Schools! I love being apart of the OPS family! My husband teaches in OPS as well at Central High School. He teaches sports nutrition, P.E. and weights classes. He also coaches football and basketball. We just had our first child. Brooks Lee was born this past summer.
Mrs. Hyland is a ....
* lover of spending time with my immediate and extended family & friends
* an avid Reader
*fan of going to the beach
*happy camper when I can have a lazy day
*fan of watching and playing sports (high school, college & beyond)
*Major fan of TRAVELING
*Teacher by choice
*Advocate for my students
In my classroom we will have...
* Classroom Work: Every day we have Calendar, morning work, classroom jobs, Math and Reading rotations. We will also work on Unit Studies which includes Science and Social Studies related topics. We have weekly news articles we read from the News 2 You website. This composes the core of our academic work. We are always teaching life skills and hygiene all throughout the day.
* Buddies: We have a Buddies program at Belle Ryan where the Primary and Intermediate ACP rooms pair up with friends from 6th grade classes. This is a great time for social interaction and peer learning. We meet monthly to do planned activities as well as having weekly breakfasts together. During this time, the children will interact with their buddy and even attend a picnic at the end of the year!
* Behavior: I use a positive rewards system in my classroom. Research shows positive reinforcement is a great way to shape behavior. Students earn stickers or Class Dojo points for making good choices! Then when they earn a certain amount they get to pick out of our treasure chest and earn a prize.
* Integrating: When a child is ready, he or she will integrate with their corresponding grade in the general education population for lunch, recess, specials and academics they excel in.
* FUN! :) I love to smile, laugh and have fun!
Arrival, Check in & Breakfast
Recess or Sensory room
Integrated Specials with general education peers
Whole Group Reading and Read aloud
Lunch & Recess
Phonics & Handwriting
Mindfulness / Quiet Time
Our ACP whole class Specials
Integrated Speech, Buddies & Music Therapy
Jobs, pack up, dismissal